COLUMBIA, Tennessee - Hunter Medical, LLC announces the 1000th surgical procedure was recently performed with the ElbowLOC Positioning System. This occurred nearly one year from its introduction to the medical device marketplace. The procedure was a “Terrible Triad” right elbow fracture/dislocation on a 40-year-old male. The procedure was performed by one surgeon with one assistant and was greatly simplified by use of the ElbowLOC.
“Terrible Triad” injuries and similar elbow fracture/dislocations cases can present challenges for surgeons. The ElbowLOC has been found to simplify surgical procedures in the following ways:
- Standard supine positioning allows excellent exposure and visualization of the anterior aspect of the elbow and retraction of the anterior capsule.
- Radial head exposure and replacement is much easier through a postero lateral approach in this scenario as compared to a straight lateral approach with the arm on a hand table.
- Drilling tunnels in the proximal ulna to pass sutures for the coronoid fx/anterior capsule repair is quick and straightforward.
- Providing the surgeon with static and dynamic control of the patient’s arm/elbow greatly accelerates the procedure.
- Medial exposure, necessary in this case for fixation of a medial epicondyle fracture was uncomplicated.
This 1000th case is example of how the ElbowLOC makes elbow surgery easier for surgeons. Why Struggle? Popularity of the arm positioning device is growing with upper extremity surgeons as evidence by Hunter Medical achieving this milestone of 1000 surgical procedures. Additional photos and videos are available on our website, www.huntermed.net.
Hunter Medical, Inc. Hunter Medical, Inc. was founded in 2013 by Lee Hunter M.D., M.B.A., a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in surgery of the upper extremity, particularly the elbow, wrist and hand. Driven by the ever-increasing need to streamline operating room processes that yield more efficient, predictable and cost-effective surgery, the mission of Hunter Medical, Inc. is to improve the lives of patients and their surgeons by introducing to the global marketplace novel products and solutions for unanswered problems in Orthopaedic Surgery.
Hunter Medical, Inc. products are protected by patents issued in the U.S. and in foreign jurisdictions. Presently issued U.S. patents are: 8,356,601 and 8,230,864. A number of patent applications are pending in the U.S. and in foreign jurisdictions. The Hunter Medical logo, ElbowLOC and Why Struggle are trademarks registered with the USPTO.
Published at Orthoworld